PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, September 3, 2012

White Silk Purse Laundry Soap - Powdered Version

1 bar Fels Naptha Soap
1 cups Borax
1 cups Arm & Hammer WASHING Soda

DIRECTIONS:

Grate one bar of the Fels Naptha with a food processor.

{Yes, you can use the same one you use for food! What do you think it gets washed in when you wash it otherwise?SOAP!}

Remove the grating wheel and put in the knife wheel.  Whirr it about a few seconds and your soap will look like tiny balls.  Add one cup of Borax and one cup of WASHING soda.  Whirr again.  Now it will look like powder with little yellow flecks.


2 teaspoons does a load.  A soup spoon usually holds two teaspoons.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To make things simple at my house I make LOTS of this at once.
Here is the 
Super Duper Recipe:

6 bars Fels Naptha Soap, grated
1 box Borax
1 box Arm & Hammer WASHING Soda

Follow the above directions.
Yes, I know the measurements aren't exact, but it works like a charm.
I see no reason to make a tiny batch when I can spend a few more minutes  and make it all at once.

My son and I made enough to last both of our families for a year {or more} in a little under 2 hours.
FYI: That was a triple batch of the Super Duper Recipe for each of us!

8 comments:

  1. how many loads would you say the standard recipe makes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you only use 2 tsp per load it lasted us for about 2 months. I couldn't say how many loads it does.

      Delete
  2. I just made this recipe for the 3rd time and we love it....however....how do you deal with the "dust" that is formed when you are mixing everything together? It is quite strong...thinking maybe the next time I make it I will do it outside, lol and make a double batch so it lasts longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the best method for using this recipe with a front loader to prevent spotting on clothes? Would I dissolve it in water and add it in the detergent cup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used the paste version in my front load washer. I plop a few tablespoons on top the dry clothes, as opposed to in the soap dispenser and have never had an issue with spots on the clo
      thes.

      Delete
  4. We have been using this recipe for months (both of my sisters also use it) and we have front loading machines. We have had dissolving issues with store bought soap, but never with this version. Just put your 2 teaspoons in the powder detergent spot, in our machine we have a liquid detergent cup, if you take the cup out you can dump the powder soap right in.
    Love your recipe Dana, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What size of box of Borax and Washing soda? I am in Canada and everything here is in metric, and I am struggling with the conversion from Imperial (we also have different sized boxes here - are you using the big box or the little box?). What is the size of the Fals Natha soap you are using? It is considerable more expensive in Canada so I am trying to figure out the weight of a substitution. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheila, The recipe uses 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup of washing Soda per bar of soap. I don't worry about the size of box, I just measure. However, if I only have a little powder left after making several batches I just add it to the last batch and it still works. -- I'm sure whatever kind of hard stain removing bar soap you have will work. I have used bars that were "vintage" that I found at a yard sale and they worked just fine. I prefer Fels Naptha, but I have a friend who uses a different brand. Best wishes for clean clothes!!

    ReplyDelete